- Bart Willems gives a talk on
"Dynamic Tides and
the Evolution of Stars in Close Binaries" at the Third Granada Workshop on Stellar
Structure, Tidal Evolution and Oscillations in Binary Stars, May 26-28,
2004, Granada, Spain.
- Jeremy Sepinsky has been awarded a NASA/Goddard Graduate Student
Researchers Program Fellowship for 2004 (renewable for up to 3 years).
The NASA GSRP awards fellowships for graduate study leading to
masters or doctoral degrees in the fields of science, mathematics, and
engineering related to NASA research and development. Jeremy's
NASA Technical Adviser will be Dr. Nicholas White - Congratulations!
- Laura Blecha
selected as this year's recipient of the annual
Outstanding Junior in Physics and Astronomy award. This award is
designed to recognize a Physics and Astronomy major in their junior
year who has demonstrated exceptional academic achievement in the major
and shows great promise for the future.
Laura has also been elected as the President of the Society of Physics
Students at Northwestern University - Congratulations!
- Bart Willems gives the Physics & Astronomy Colloquium at the Open University in Milton Keynes (UK) on "Pulsar Kicks and Spin Tilts in Close Double Neutron Stars"
- Todd Levin is awarded a NU Undergraduate Research Grant for Summer 2004 - Congratulations!
- Vicky Kalogera is awarded the Cottrell Scholar Award by the Research Corporation. The Cottrell Scholar Awards are designed for institutions and faculty members who wish to excel at both teaching and research.
- Bart Willems and collaborators submitted two new papers to Astronomy & Astrophysics:
- "Interpretation of the variability of the β Cephei star λ
Scorpii I. The multiple character",
K. Uytterhoeven, B. Willems, K.
Lefever, C. Aerts, J.H. Telting, U. Kolb
- "Interpretation of the variability of the β Cephei star
λ Scorpii II. The line-profile diagnostics",
K. Uytterhoeven, J.H. Telting, C. Aerts, B. Willems