I am a scholar of U.S. and global history, specializing in empire, development, and the history of ideas. My last name is pronounced IM-mer-var and my Erdös number is 5.
- I've taught at Berkeley, Columbia, Northwestern, and San Quentin State Prison. My main teaching subjects are global history and U.S. foreign relations. Syllabi here.
Some articles and essays (full list here):
- "The Moon Landing: Twilight of Empire," Modern American History
- "We're the Good Guys, Right?: On Marvel Movies," n+1
- "The Greater United States: Territory and Empire in U.S. History," Diplomatic History
- "Growth vs. the Climate," Dissent
- "Polanyi in the United States: Peter Drucker, Karl Polanyi, and the Midcentury Critique of Economic Society," Journal of the History of Ideas
- "Caste or Colony?: Indianizing Race in the United States," Modern Intellectual History
- My website The Books of the Century lists bestsellers, Book-of-the-Month Club selections, and other notable books for every year of the twentieth century.
- I made a grade calculator/roster that students can use to predict their grades and teachers can use to record and calculate course averages.
- And, finally, guano: